MRHS Wins Nine Awards at Annual Basie Awards
Marlboro High School brought home nine awards at the 2022 Basie Awards on Wednesday, May 25, 2022.
“After two years of improvising and working around the pandemic, we were relieved when we realized this year’s ceremony could be live – and that these schools, and these students, would have the opportunity to stage their productions in front of live audiences,” said Samantha Giustiniani, Senior Director, Education, Count Basie Center for the Arts, “From the energy in the room tonight and the caliber of excellence we saw in this year’s productions, it’s obvious that everyone was bursting to get back out and express themselves on stage.”
“After two years away, it was a thrill to feel the energy, excitement, and achievement buzzing during this year’s Basie Awards,” said Jeremy Grunin, Chairman, Count Basie Center for the Arts. “It was especially poignant knowing that our Lifetime Achievement recipient, Ann Marie Miller, was there to experience it with us, knowing how hard she and ArtPride worked to ensure that the arts and organizations such as our own could continue to serve in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic. This year’s Basie Awards were truly a showcase of excellence and perseverance.”
Marlboro High School won in the following categories:
- CAROLE MALIK AWARD OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN IN A DRAMA: MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – DECISION HEIGHT – DEBBIE BILOTTA, KATHY STEWART, ANTHONY GRECO
- OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN IN A DRAMA (Tie): MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – DECISION HEIGHT – JIM LYLE & ANTHONY GRECO;
- OUTSTANDING DIRECTION IN A DRAMA: MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – DECISION HEIGHT – ANTHONY GRECO
- OUTSTANDING DRAMATIC PRODUCTION: MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – DECISION HEIGHT
- CAROLE MALIK AWARD OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN IN A MUSICAL: MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – HONK! – ANTHONY GRECO
- OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN IN A MUSICAL (tie): MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – HONK! – JIM LYLE & ANTHONY GRECO
- OUTSTANDING ALL STUDENT ORCHESTRA: MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – HONK! – PATRICK DALTON
- OUTSTANDING FEATURED MALE PERFORMER IN A MUSICAL: NICHOLAS LUTZ – MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – HONK!
- OUTSTANDING MUSICAL PRODUCTION: MARLBORO HIGH SCHOOL – HONK!
The Basie Awards began in 2005 as a way to honor and recognize high school-level actors, actresses, and productions in the Monmouth County area. This year, 16 dramas and 23 musical performances entered themselves for evaluation by the Basie Award nomination committee, which produced nominations for students, productions, and schools in various acting and production categories.